5 Nutritious Foods for Strong Bones on National Nutrition Month
- Posted on: Mar 15 2023
Happy National Nutrition Month! Bones are vital in our overall health and wellness, and keeping them strong and healthy is essential. Keeping strong bones is important for older adults as their bones naturally weaken as they age and become more prone to injury.
A nutritious diet rich in calcium, vitamin D, and other nutrients can help keep bones healthy and reduce the risk of osteoporosis and other bone-related conditions. Here are five nutritious foods that can help you build strong bones:
- Milk and dairy products: Dairy products are some of the best sources of calcium, which is essential for strong bones. Calcium helps build and maintain strong bones and teeth and also plays a role in maintaining a healthy nervous system and muscle function. Choose low-fat or non-fat dairy products for added health benefits. You can also try calcium-fortified plant-based alternatives such as almond or soy milk.
- Leafy greens: Spinach, kale, and collard greens are packed with calcium, vitamin K, and other nutrients that help build strong bones. Leafy greens are also low in calories and high in fiber, making them a great option for anyone looking to maintain a healthy weight.
- Salmon and other fatty fish: Fatty fish such as salmon are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D, contributing to bone health. Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation and promote bone growth, while vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium. If you don’t eat fish, you can also get vitamin D from fortified dairy products, eggs, and mushrooms.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds are rich in magnesium, which helps regulate calcium levels in the body. Magnesium is also vital for maintaining healthy bones and reducing the risk of osteoporosis. Nuts and seeds are also high in healthy unsaturated fats, making them a great snack.
- Tofu: This soy-based food is a valuable source of calcium, making it a great option for those who don’t consume dairy products. Tofu is also low in calories and high in protein, which makes it an excellent choice for anyone looking to build muscle mass.
You can maintain strong and healthy bones by eating these foods. Bone health isn’t just about diet. Contact Redwood Orthopaedic Surgery Associates in California at 707.544.3400. Let’s talk!
Posted in: Bone Health