11 things you may not know about foods and your bone health
- Posted on: Jul 15 2021
It’s no secret that the foods you eat and drinks you consume can affect the health of your bones. But what foods and drinks are best for bone health? Read on to learn about which foods and drinks are best for bone health and what you may not know about bone health and diet.
- Foods that are rich in calcium, vitamin D and other nutrients are important to bone health.
- Dairy products such as low-fat or nonfat milk, yogurt and cheese are good for your bones.
- Canned sardines and salmon with bones have great bone-health nutrients, including calcium. Fatty fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines and mackerel also pack a punch of vitamin D, which is great for your bones.
- Collard greens, kale, okra, turnip greens and broccoli are full of calcium.
- Spinach, beet greens, okra, tomatoes, artichokes, potatoes and sweet potatoes have bone-strengthening magnesium.
- While many older adults don’t get adequate protein in their diets, too much meat and protein with each meal can also lead to the loss of calcium.
- If you’re not getting enough nutrients from food alone, you may need to complement your diet with multivitamins or supplements that fill the nutritional gaps.
- Limit alcohol consumption to no more than 2-3 drinks per day as drinking heavily can lead to bone loss.
- Too much salt in your diet can cause your body to lose calcium and lead to bone loss.
- Coffee tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine can decrease calcium absorption and contribute to bone loss. Try to avoid drinking more than three cups of coffee every day.
- The carbonation in soft drinks doesn’t harm bones, but the caffeine and phosphorous in colas may contribute to bone loss.
If you are concerned about your bone health and want to learn more ways to improve the health of your bones and prevent or prolong the onset of osteoarthritis, call us at 707.544.3400 to make an appointment.
Posted in: Bone Health